Our brains are like muscles in our body, so the saying ‘use it or lose it’ is as appropriate for our brains as it is for our physical bodies. Just as we do not want our muscles to undergo atrophy, we do not want our brains turning to mush and our memory power diminishing by not exercising every day.
The more active our minds are and the more we use our brains, the better we are able to remember simple things like grocery lists, to-do items, daily chores, etc.
There are several things we can do every day to keep our minds and bodies sharp and in top form.
• Get some physical exercise every day. Physical exercise keeps our minds and bodies in top shape.
• Try a crossword or sudoku puzzle. This will get our brains stimulated and sharp.
• Write lists. If you do have trouble remembering something, keep lists where you can easily find them. You can write grocery lists, to-do lists, daily chore lists, etc.
• Do a jigsaw or 3D puzzle. This will stimulate both the left and right hemisphere of our brains.
• Watch a trivia game show. You may find that you know more than you think you do, and you may learn some new things!
• Drink your water. Water is important to keep us hydrated and to keep our brains functioning in a healthy way.
• Eat a balanced diet. A deficiency in nutrients can affect our brain power and our memory. Eating right includes food from all the food groups.
• Learn a foreign language. What better way to stimulate your brain than to learn a new language?
• Write a story. Be creative and wild and write something totally ridiculous and funny. You are not looking to get your work published, you are looking to stimulate your creativity.
• Learn something new. Take a flower arranging class or learn to play the piano.
• Join a club. Get involved in your community. Try social clubs, political clubs, or service organizations.
• Develop a positive attitude. Depression and a negative attitude can have serious consequences for our minds and our bodies. Always try to think positive, no matter how dire you think your situation is.
• Go bird watching in a park and take binoculars and a bird handbook with you. Keep a notebook to jot down all the different birds you see.